Calumite was first developed as a raw material for glass making in the US in 1944 by RW Hopkins, founder of the Calumite Company. Calumite Ltd was established in Scunthorpe in 1969 as a joint venture between the Appleby Group and Calumite International to introduce the material to UK glass producers. We now supply the majority of UK glass and have exported material to Middle East, North Africa, Turkey, Central America, Scandinavia and Indonesia.
Calumite S.R.O. was established in 1999 to supply glassmakers in Central and Eastern Europe. Ostrava was chosen as a strategic location close to raw material supply and well located to supply glass works in Czech Republic, Poland and Slovak Republic.
Calumite Ltd is a member of Heidelberg Materials UK company.